Sunday, April 15, 2012

Awesome Apple Jack Crumble

Ok so I had a birthday party to go to yesterday. I decided to go at kind of the last minute because my lack of car situation. Anyhow I didn’t have a lot of time to prepare something for the  party so I did what I always do I went in the pantry and fridge and made do with what I had. I was thinking about a pie because I had some apple jack liqueur from a trip to Illinois River Winery and loads of apples but I did not have the time for or want the mess of pie. So crumble it was….

6 apples (I used honey crisp but whatever you have on hand will do)
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 tablespoon of  cocoa chili blend (or you can use a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder)
½ cup flour
½ cup oats (I used instant)
½ cup  apple jack
¾ cup sugar
Ice cream or cool whip

*    Pre heat the oven to 350F and grease your pan with cooking spray or butter.
*   Peel, core and cut the apples in to bite sized pieces.
*  Coat apple pieces with pumpkin pie spice and cocoa chili. Transfer in to baking dish.
* Mix flour and oats together and pour over top of apples.
*   In a small sauce pan over medium high heat melt sugar in to apple jack.  Stir constantly.  Take off heat when the sugar is dissolved and the mixture turns to a light syrup when put in to cool water (about 5-10 minutes).
*  Pour apple jack syrup over apple and oats mixture. Stir just enough to make sure everything is coated.
*   Bake for 25-30 minutes or until apples are soft.
*  Serve with ice cream or cool whip.  I used a caramel swirl ice cream but a cinnamon or vanilla ice cream would work well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment